Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Night Sky with Python

After seeing the digital planetarium exhibit at the California Academy of Sciences, I decided that I wanted to paint the night sky on my ceiling and walls using glow-in-the-dark paint. To do this, I wrote a Python program to chart each star's position and magnitude relative to a single point in space. I plan to complete the project in Summer 2013.

The images below are screenshots of the scalable vector graphics (SVG) that were generated by the program.

To see the SVG pages, click the links below:
Night sky
Ursa Major and Ursa Minor
Stargate-like projection (see 2001: A Space Odyssey)

Click here to access all files from the project, including the Python script, a readme file with detailed instructions, and a .zip archive of everything.

Night Sky

Ursa Major and Ursa Minor

Stargate-like Projection