Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Arduino Library for Adafruit's 2X16 LCD Shields





In order to make programing my camera dolly's user interface easier, I decided to create my own Arduino library. While there were a couple navigation libraries for Adafruit's 2X16 LCD Shields, I wanted to learn how to write a library, something that I haven't done before. Additionally, I had in mind a simpler interface than what I found online and wanted to make numerical input more efficient by entering numbers by place value.

Here are a few features:

  • Intuitive menu navigation
  • Supports selection of multiple options
  • Numerical input of integer and decimal values
  • Optional delay for static menus
  • Optional menu headings
The .zip file containing the library itself, examples, and documentation can be found here (Last update: Oct. 11, 2014). To get started, go to the "documentation" folder and open "home.html". From here, you can learn how to install the library. Additionally, the page can direct you to several examples and the library's function list.

Many thanks to Prof. Silvan Linn, Grant Paul and Cheng Cheng for their generous help.